Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Strike Your Way to a Better Education!

So I got to class today to find the building completely locked up with students barricading the front entrance. A nationwide education strike is taking place this week, with students protesting against higher tuition, and stricter degree requirements due to Germany's switching to a system more similar to ours. As I ducked under the barricade to get close up and take some pictures, one guy started glaring at me as if I were a "scab." But after I assured him I was okay with not having class, he invited me to join the strike, despite my "Ami" status. I smiled and was pleasant, but in thinking about the school loans I'm coming back to, protesting against paying 200 Euros a Semester seemed to me like complaining about taxes after winning the lottery.


They take it seriously

The building where I was supposed to have class today - The East European Institute (OEI) being "bestreikt"

"Self-Determined Living and Learing"

"Strike Central" - The Anarchy Symbol is a nice touch, don't you think?

"Education for Everyone!"

"Ban Student Fees! Education for Everyone!"

3 comments:

Jessie said...

I like the use of passive voice in "wird bestreikt." These kids probably spend more than 200 euros a semester on coffee, but they think it's too expensive for education???? :-)

Adam J said...

Are you serious about 200 euros a semester? That is crazy cheap! We used to strike about education too, except that we called it "skip day!" Silly Germans...

Anonymous said...

I knew you would somehow find time to lead this strike and make all these posters.